Monday, March 31, 2008

Becoming a great "North Dakotan"

There's been a lot of talk about what North Dakota isn't in the news lately. I guess the state appears empty to most of those outside of it, and quite honestly, even to many residents within its borders. The whole idea of North Dakota being a boring place has gnawed at me since I was young. To some extent, it seems like we spend a lot of time trying to make ourselves something we are not.

I remember when I was in college, the mayor at the time wanted to build a waterfall by River Road in Bismarck. There's also the idea of dropping "North" from Dakota. The argument is to change outside and inside perceptions. Sarcastically I suggested in the student newspaper a retractable dome be placed over the state. I say it's time to embrace what we are, and what we have. It does get cold here, no matter how the tourism brochures try to alter reality. The wind blows. Temperature differences can be extreme, and in a short amount of time. So what? Don't people like challenges? How about scaling Devils Tower, climbing Everest, or competing a triathlon?

The truth is, North Dakota is prime, sublime territory for those who are adventure minded. I think if we want to change outside perceptions of who we are, we need to start on the inside. I propose a plan of action, something to stimulate average, everyday North Dakotan's to get off the couch and learn more about our history and our future. Kind of a "you have to love yourself before someone else can love you" type of thing.

If we are concerned about the future of the state, we had better act now, investing in our youth. If they grow up embracing North Dakota, they are more likely to stay, open a business, start a family, and eventually reach out to others about visiting this place. I want to build a base of "Great North Dakotan's."

I'm taking ideas for lists of buttes to climb, books to read, and places to visit. I want to hear about your adventures, see your photos, read your writing, and be stimulated by your thoughts. I've kicked around a few ideas with family and friends. Right now the idea and its parameters are limitless. As I carry the weight of 37 3/4 years on my back, I know two things. It's time to get started, and it's never too late to get started. I hope to see you along the way.

3 comments:

Jay and Sara said...

I think we should do the Medora run again this year. This time I'll buy the iced coffees on the way home!

I'm anxiously awaiting summer...to take full advantage of the river, Lake Tschida, running trails, camping...

Sara

Jay and Sara said...

Tom,
I'm thinking of looking into one or two 10ks (and a 5k or two) around ND this summer...instead of the half-marathon. Interested??
Sara

Jay and Sara said...

I believe the Medora run (5k or 10k) is on May 31 this year (a Saturday). I would be interested in that. Also there is the Fort Lincoln Run on Saturday, June 21 (also 5k or 10k). Those are two I'm considering.
Hopefully we can do those or find some others...
Sara