Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Moments

I saw an old couple today
probably in their 70’s or 80’s
in a gold Buick.
My glance caught them
debating a grocery flyer
shiny and creased.
They were looking at the meat section
pot roast, steak, bacon
it was 4:08 at a stoplight
Divide and State, cloudy, warm, breezy.
I saw a glance of green
and turned without thinking.
Suddenly they were left behind.
Gone.
She had curly hair and rimmed glasses
and looked intense.
He was attentive—both hands on the wheel.
Silent.
Five blocks later
down the hill and to the right
I still wonder what they’ll have.
When your days are numbered,
I say eat steak.

2 comments:

M. Branhardt said...

Dad-
I really liked this poem, still do. I like how you notice such little details, Mom says I do too. Yet, how you described the people and the flyer...
Nicely done, funny and sweet.
I love you
Micaela

Jay and Sara said...

Tom,

This poem really "sounds" like you, if that makes sense. I remember when you were up in Grand Forks and stayed at my apartment when Grandpa wasn't doing well and was in the hospital. You and I ordered pizza at - what was it - 10:00pm or so from Green Mill? I just staying up and talking with you, eating pizza...and you saying something about there are certain times that it just doesn't matter...go ahead and order pizza at 10:00pm...have coffee at night, etc...

This poem reminded me of that night...or at least the last line did...

:)

Sara